In today’s episode, 6 year old Nathaniel is the host and asks his dad some Pokemon questions:
- What is Pokemon?
- What is Pokemon Go?
- What is a Pokemon trainer?
- What is a Pokemon Gym?
- How does a Pokemon win a battle?
- How do you get Poke Balls?
- What are the different types of Pokemon?
That’s it. Thank you for joining us on our Pokemon episode. Hopefully, you learned something new and had some fun. Have a question you want us to answer? Use our contact page to send us your questions, and we might answer it in an upcoming episode or explore more educational podcast for kids on our episode page.
Want to read even more about Pokemon
Let’s start with our Pokemon questions!
What is Pokemon?
Pokemon is a Nintendo game and cartoon from Japan. It was first called “Poketto Monsutaa” or “Pocket Monster”.
There are lots of different Pokemon video games, and also Pokemon videos and movies. Pokemon are creatures who live in the wild or close to humans. They mostly don’t speak, except to say their names.
In most Pokemon games, players play as Trainers to go on adventures with their Pokemon. They search for new types of Pokemon to add to their collection, and have battles with other Trainers and Gym Leaders to get gym badges.
Players can battle and trade Pokemon with other players.
What is Pokemon Go?
Pokemon Go is a mobile game that you can play on a smartphone or tablet. Players walk around outside, and Pokemon characters appear on the game map.
When you’re close to a Pokemon, it will show up on your screen and you can throw Poke Balls at them to catch them.
Players try to collect as many different types of characters as they can.
What is a Pokemon trainer?
A trainer is someone who catches, sometimes names, and trains different types of Pokemon.
What is a Pokemon Gym?
There are Gyms at different locations, where you can battle the Pokemon of other teams. Trainers battle each other for control of the Gyms. Each gym has up to 6 Pokemon that are there to defend it.
Trainers from other teams can bring six of their own Pokemon to battle against the defenders, to try to claim the Gym for their own team.
You can work with other Trainers to defeat Gyms with powerful Pokemon.
How does a Pokemon win a battle?
How well a Pokemon does in a battle is based on its Hit Points and Combat Power.
Hit Points (or HP) measures a Pokemon’s health, and Combat Power (or CP) measures the strength of their attacks.
Pokemon with high Combat Power and high Hit Points have powerful attacks, and can survive attacks by other Pokemon.
How do you get Poke Balls?
There are locations where you can go to collect free Poke balls that you can use to catch Pokemon.
Players can also find Pokemon eggs that hatch into Pokemon.
What are the different types of Pokemon?
There are 18 different types of Pokemon. Each Type has its own strengths and weaknesses.
The types are:
Some types of Pokemon are weak against other types, like the:
- Fire type are weak against water type
- ice type are weak against fire type,
- and water type are weak against electric type.
The types also have different moves related to their type. A Fire Type Move like Ember, will be strong against a Grass-type Pokemon like Bulbasaur.
Some Pokemon can have two types. These are called Dual-Type Pokemon.
Usually the Dual-Type Pokemon’s types make sense that they go together, like the Rock/Ground-Type Pokemon Onix. Sometimes a dual-type Pokemon loses one of its types and gains a different type when they evolve.
Some single type Pokemon will change to a different type or types when they evolve.
Like Azurill, a normal and fairy type, which evolves into Marill, a water and fairy type.
Evee is a normal type which can evolve into a Flareon, which is a fire type.
- What is the turtle pokemon that has a snout and a shell and if you touch the shell you blow up?
- What is a very good tree climber Pokemon that looks like a monkey and is small, green, and brown?
- What is the strongest pokemon?
- What is the fastest pokemon?
Ninjask. Ninjask is so fast that it cannot be seen. It is a bug/flying type.
- How many Pokemon are there?
There are eight hundred and ninety Pokemon.
- What is a very colorful Pokemon that is based on a Phoenix?
Ho-oh. It is a Fire/Flying type Legendary Pokemon.
It can revive any Pokemon and is super fast, and has a very strong Fire-Type attack called “Sacred Fire”.
Fun Pokemon Facts:
- Pikachu’s name comes from the Japanese words: pikipika which means sparkle, and Chuchu which means squeaking.
- Slowbro is the only Pokemon that can devolve, which means it can change back to what it was before. Slowbro is the evolution of Slowpoke with Shellder on his tail, but if Slowpro loses Shellder, he devolves back to slowpoke.
- Poliwag’s swirl is based on tadpoles’ intestines. The swirl on its belly is the tadpole’s intestines.
- Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee got their names from real, famous fighters:
Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee.
- Pikachu and Meowth are exact opposites
Pikachu looks like a mouse, and Meowth looks like a cat.
They are enemies in the Pokemon cartoon. And Pikachu is number 25 in the Pokedex, Meowth is number 52 (which is 25 backwards).
- The Pokemon game and it’s characters were first based on insects. The man that created Pokemon said that when he was a kid he loved to collect bugs and examine their behavior.
But kids started to spend less time outside with bugs.
So he decided to make a game where kids could have fun collecting creatures that looked and acted differently from each other. Like bugs, these creatures were strange and moved in unusual ways.
Q: Why was Meowth scared of a tree?
A: Because of its bark!
Q: How can Pickachu make a baby laugh?
A: By playing pika-boo!
That’s it! We hope you enjoyed our Pokemon episode!